Nickerson Family Association, Inc.
Celebrating 125 Years: 1897-2022!
The William and Anne Nickerson Historic Homestead Site (founders of Chatham) at 1107 Orleans Road, North Chatham, Mass., is devoted to the history of Chatham's first settlers, William and Anne Nickerson. During five months in 2018 and 2019, an archaeological team excavated William and Anne's c. 1664 homestead, the first built by English settlers in Chatham. Visitors are welcome to walk around the campus during daylight hours to read interpretive signs.
The NFA also runs The Caleb Nickerson Homestead, a restored Cape built c. 1829 and moved to the NFA campus in 2004. Craftsmen demonstrate Hands-On-History events on open hearth cooking, beehive oven baking, heirloom gardening and the fiber arts throughout the year. Tour our house, period kitchen gardens and post & beam outhouse on Wednesdays June through October from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and on Saturdays July 9 and 23, and August 6 and 20 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tours are free but donations are gratefully accepted.
The primary goal of the NFA is to research and preserve Nickerson genealogical information. The Genealogical Research Center, located on the NFA campus, maintains an extensive, growing collection of Nickerson records and memorabilia, based on 125 years of research into the descendants of William and Anne Nickerson. Also here is a large library of Cape Cod history and genealogy. The Genealogical Research Center in the ''Nick House'' is open Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and by appointment. We have a gift shop featuring Nickerson paraphernalia, books and gifts.